Wednesday, April 25, 2007

really, really, small


M and M had their first child on Monday. M's back is quite a disaster so they had a C-section scheduled for Monday. Everything went really well and S and I went to see little Jasmine yesterday. The drive out to Hudson was remarkably short - especially since I was dreading the whole experience a little. I love M, she is one of the coolest people ever, but newborns scare the life out of me. They are so little and helpless - it just frightens me. So I would have liked a little more traffic as I prepared to see my best friend as a new mother.

The anticipation, the anxiousness, and even that familiar hospital smell wound my stomach into a neat little ball by the time we found the room. I was clinging on to S for some much needed support while trying to pretend that I was fine.

Wow - she was small. Small and perfect. M looked great - 24 hours after having around 7 pounds of baby removed from her body, her first shot at breastfeeding, and trying to get sleep in a semi open hospital room with visitors all the time, she looked great. I hate her.

One of the best things about M is how open she is. She just lets you know whats going on or whats on her mind with little editing about how people will think of her. She is blunt and I love it. However, last night was not a night for bluntness. Did you know, that babies poop is black and sticky when it first comes out and that it is not until the baby injests the natural laxitive that is in breast milk that they are able to clean out thier systems? Or that the laxitive milk is not really milk but a precursor to the real milk that will follow? Or that it takes around 2 weeks for your nipples to become calloused enough for breastfeeding not to hurt like crazy? I'll stop here, but needless to say, my head was spinning. It seems like everytime I find out something new about pregnancy I am amazed that people choose to do it at all!

After all of the fear and repulsion, I finnally got to hold her - and she was amazing. M has a daughter. How amazing is that? How incredible is it that we can bring a new life into the world? I simply could not speak after seeing her. I spent the rest of the drive home and much of the night simply thinking. Thinking about this new person, thinking about my friends and how their lives have changed. But mostly, I keep thinking about me and S. Could we really do this? It's a ways off, we want to wait until next summer before we try, but wow - what an amazing thing to do. . .

No comments: