Tuesday, April 24, 2007

So I can cook?

Marriage, ain't it grand?

So two weeks into my marriage I have decided to run a small inventory. Here's what I found:

S has crazy skills- he can do plumbing, electrical, drywall, concrete, tiling, and pretty much any kind of general building or repair. Unfortunately he is also a whiz at finances. He has our budget worked out to the penny.

I can plant, and create glass windows, quilts,books, and paper crafts.

So . . . in an attempt to equal out the glaring inequality in our partnership I have been attempting to learn to cook. Well not just cook, but to cook healthy food on a small budget that has enough heat to it to make S feel like he is actually eating something. Initially this was entirely daunting. I just seemed to mess up everything - and it was frustrating to spend so much effort on a meal just to have it be inedible or worse - just barely edible so you would actually have to trudge through the entire plate wishing for death (or at least a party pizza!).

My cooking background had prepared me to make fattening food from ready made ingredients with little flavor other than salt, pepper, and garlic. So there has been no help from the family. I have big enough thighs as it is - so learning to cook healthy now will only help us in the long run - but sometimes I wish I could just use the white flour, the sugar, and the butter like I want to - it would make things so much easier! (Damn the French!)

Thankfully the teachers I work with are very helpful and tuned into the world of cooking. D has given me so many great ideas and flavorful recipes that are actually good for you. (Who knew?) I have now amassed a small repertoire of healthy dishes that can be made decently and in a reasonable amount of time. S has been ever patient as I try new dishes and spice combinations and has been extremely supportive considering his ex was a gourmet chef.

I also have become slightly excited by the prospect of making the food that will become our families traditions. What cookies will we eat at Christmas? What food will they request for their birthdays or wait to have on special occasions? So far I have found a fantastic pumpkin spice cookie, courtesy of M, which I think is a fantastic and unique option for a holiday treat. One down, many more to go!

This week I have been searching for really good whole wheat recipes - anyone got a bread recipe they want to share?

No comments: