Monday, November 5, 2007

the cat.

So I haven't written about the cat, and in my defense I really gave up on her and felt no need to write about her as she had gone over to the dark side a long time ago. Violet has always been diva-ish in the way of all good Siamese cats, but once she had to compete for my time, she lost it. Violet hates S. There is no way around it - she hates him. Why? You ask - simply because he kicked her out of the bedroom. When I lived in Anoka, there was simply no option for me - the apartment was simply too small to lock her out of my bedroom at night. So she went as she pleased. Yes, I raised a unruly toddler. So when she moved in with S, things went south quickly. Irritated that she couldn't share the bedroom she became irrational at night and would wake us up 2-3 times a night yowling at the top of her lungs - inconsolable. Tired of chasing her around naked in the dark, our only solution was to lock her in a room at night- and then because her wailing was still so loud, the porch of the room we had originally tried to put her in. It took the shelter of 3 doors for me to be able to sleep through the night. Initially I felt bad, but I need to sleep and I after heavy research I was reassured that Siamese cats are insane and will do whatever they want, whenever they want, as long as they want - end of story. I was prepared to continue wrangling the cat into the porch until the end of time, but winter was fast approaching. As the porch became cooler and cooler, my guilt and helplessness increased exponentially. What was I to do? Finally in desperation, I left Violet out one night to roam the house at will with the other cat, and for some reason - on this try- she was fine. She let us sleep through the night. And then again. It has been almost 2 weeks now, and feel like we are finally done teething. The cat, while not fond of S's intrusion, has finally made peace. I hope. . .

No comments: