Thursday, July 10, 2008

Baby Spot.

Today was our appointment (of course S came with- he really is perfect) to figure out how far along we are. Since my last period was in APRIL (which is apparently when they count from- there is so much about to learn about in this weird pregnancy world!) there was a wide window of speculation about when I was due. Last week we were told that I was probably between 7-12 weeks along. Today when the shoved the giant wand into my womb to do an inner ultrasound, we found not a alien looking lump, but rather a black spot. Apparently I am about 4 weeks along, so today we saw the egg implanted and the egg sac just beginning to form. This of course makes me nervous. S and I are really excited about this pregnancy and I am aching to stay pregnant.

What?

Miscarriage always seems to be this great looming thing for me. I don't know why. I have no reason to believe that I would have one, but I guess it seems that having a miscarriage would be the only thing that could take away how happy we are right now, so I fear it. It's illogical, I know. I also know that many people have had miscarriages (apparently 30 percent of all pregnancies) and go on to have children- so I am not quite sure what my drama is. They said that I won't be able to hear the heartbeat until 6 or 7 weeks (which is a big mile stone for miscarriages - less then 3 percent after they hear the heart beat) and they are testing my progesterone to make sure that my ovary (they think my egg came from my left ovary- weird huh? I love living in America!) is giving enough to maintain my egg- or as S says, the baby spot. In fact, while waiting for them to take my blood, he made up a song about our baby spot, which is running through my head constantly. He is excited to make up more songs as we go through this process.

So am I.

No comments: