Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pilouwry?

So the great thing about hanging out with S's family is the wonderful feeling of consistently not knowing what is going on. I am sure that they are convinced that I am hard of hearing. "What?" has become my favorite word, and I just don't think that is going to change anytime soon. Part of it is the accent. Part of it is the speed in which the speak, but a great portion is the Hindi and British slang that is thrown in along with the heavily accented, quickly spoken "English." Yesterday I arrived at the house at 5 am to help cook and prepare for V's 50th birthday blessing. The pandit was coming at 10 and we literally cooked all morning to prepare. As we pared, sliced, simmered, steamed, and flew around the kitchen I would often have to ask again and again what they had said - and what they hell they meant by it. I think my favorite part of the whole day was the repeated confused looks from arriving family as they tried to figure out who the white girl was. One family actually confessed that they almost drove by the house when the saw me in the driveway. Ahhh, the joys of family!

No comments: